Inter-Research Science Center
Inter-Research Science Center (IR) is a self-sustaining international Science Center - small but with great global impact.
IR was founded by Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Otto Kinne†.
IR produces high-quality publications
- Marine Ecology Progress Series (MEPS)
- Aquatic Biology (AB)
- Aquatic Microbial Ecology (AME)
- Diseases of Aquatic Organisms (DAO)
- Climate Research (CR)
- Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics (ESEP)
- Endangered Species Research (ESR)
- Aquaculture Environment Interactions (AEI)
- Sexuality and Early Development in Aquatic Organisms (SEDAO)
IR’s Operating Philosophy and Value-Added Services
- IR editorial policies and procedures conform to the recommendations of the Council of Science Editors. IR journals have achieved world-wide recognition as leaders in their respective fields of science. For example, according to the most recent assessment by Eigenfactor.org, a non-commercial project that ranks journals by their influence, MEPS is No. 1 by Eigenfactor in both JCR categories "Marine & Freshwater Biology" and "Oceanography".
- IR employs more staff and invests more effort and money for evaluating, selecting and improving submitted manuscripts than most other publishers - commercial, institutional or society based.
- IR does not compromise quality and standard of presentation of its publications, nor does it outsource its work to save costs. Nearly all IR production staff – editorial and administrative assistants, copyeditors and typesetters - are located at the IR offices in Oldendorf/Luhe, Germany.
IR’s Non-Profit Services to the Scientific Community
- IR spends a considerable percentage of its revenue on support for science, education and ethics. For example, IR sponsors the International Ecology Institute (ECI), a non-profit organization of research ecologists dedicated to fostering ecological awareness. By publishing Excellence in Ecology, the ECI provides a platform for leading research ecologists –– the recipients of the ECI Prize –– to present overviews of their fields of professional competence. In this way they share with a large readership their own views on current ecological issues as well as their insights into the ecological realities that form the framework for the sustained existence and development of humanity.
- IR sponsors the "Karl-Ritter-von-Frisch Preis" of the Deutsche Zoologische Gesellschaft (German Zoological Society).
- IR supports the Otto Kinne Foundation (OKF) which provides financial assistance for promising young environmental scientists in Eastern European countries.
- IR makes available (online) its entire back catalog of journal articles (5 years after publication), and many of its books, without charge.
- IR makes broadly-relevant Theme Sections and Feature Articles available as online Open Access documents.
Pricing of IR Publications
- The price of IR publications – on a per page, per article or per citation basis - is significantly lower than that of other commercial publishers, and is competitive with University-based presses. For example, the per article price for subscribers to MEPS is US$ 11.37, whereas other publishers charge from US$12 to US$45 (see www.journalprices.com).
- Price adjustments for IR publications have been below the rate of inflation and are made only when they are necessary to maintain our level of service.
- The fee for publishing an article as an Open Access document in IR journals (€1050 to €1550 depending on article length) is amongst the lowest available for quality journals.