Welcome to Inter-Research Science Center
|IR and its staff||IR's Founder: Otto Kinne||IR Buildings and Park|
|Book Series||Institutions & Sponsor Activities||Other Activities|
- ECI Prize 2016 in Marine Ecology: The Ecology Institute Jury chaired by Prof. Christine Maggs has elected Prof. Jane Lubchenco (Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA) as winner of the Excellence in Ecology Prize, and Dr Mary O’Connor (University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada) as winner of the IRPE (International Recognition of Professional Excellence) Prize. Congratulations!
- SEDAO incorporated into AB. As of January, 2016, Sexuality and Early Development in Aquatic Organisms has been discontinued as an independent journal and incorporated into Aquatic Biology. An archive of content will remain available. New submissions should follow the AB guidelines.
- New Editors-in-Chief for MEPS appointed. We are very pleased to announce a new leadership for the editorial board of Marine Ecology Progress Series: Professors Charles Peterson, Katherine Richardson, Rory Wilson and Myron Peck (as Coordinator) will share the task of Editor-in-Chief.
- Publication times cut. All IR journals now average under 55 days from acceptance of manuscripts to publication of final, paginated versions. This has been achieved without compromising the rigorous copyediting and production standards for which IR is known.
- New Director of the Ecology Institute: Professor Brian Moss, of Liverpool, UK, has now been appointed as Director of the ECI.
- An obituary of IR's founder, Professor Otto Kinne, has been published in MEPS Vol 528, entitled "A life devoted to aquatic ecology: a tribute to Otto Kinne" and authored by Victor Smetacek.
- ECI Prize 2015 in Freshwater (Limnetic) Ecology: The Ecology Institute Jury chaired by Prof. Mary Power has elected Prof. John Smol (Canada Research Chair in Environmental Change, Queen's University, Kingston, Canada) as winner of the Excellence in Ecology Prize, and Dr Mariana Meerhoff (Universidad de la República, Maldonado, Uruguay) as winner of the IRPE (International Recognition of Professional Excellence) Prize. Congratulations!
- New Associate Editor-in-Chief for MEPS and AB: Myron Peck, of The Institute for Hydrobiology and Fisheries Science, University of Hamburg, Germany, has been appointed to the editorial boards of Marine Ecology Progress Series and Aquatic Biology as Associate Editor-in-Chief. Welcome aboard!
- New DAO Editor-in-Chief: Stephen Feist, of Cefas Weymouth Laboratory, Weymouth, UK, has been appointed as third Editor-in-Chief of DAO (Diseases of Aquatic Organisms).
- New ESEP Editor-in-Chief: Konstantinos I. Stergiou, of Thessaloniki and Athens, Greece, has been appointed as second Editor-in-Chief of ESEP (Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics). The scope has been revised.
- ECI Prize 2014 in Terrestrial Ecology: The Ecology Institute Jury chaired by Professor Hal Mooney has elected Prof. William H. Schlesinger (President Emeritus of the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, NY, USA) as winner of the Excellence in Ecology Prize, and Prof. Lian Pin Koh (University of Adelaide, Australia) as winner of the IRPE (International Recognition of Professional Excellence) Prize. Congratulations!
- EE book named Book of the Year. Prof. Brian Moss, winner of the ECI Prize 2009 in limnetic ecology, has received the 2013 Marsh Ecology Book of the Year Award of the British Ecological Society for his book entitled 'Liberation ecology: The reconciliation of natural and human cultures' edited by Otto Kinne and published in the series Excellence in Ecology in 2012. Congratulations, Brian! The award was presented by Prof. Georgina Mace, herself an ECI Prize winner (2011 in terrestrial ecology), and Brian Marsh.
- Open access policies. Authors of MEPS, DAO, AME and CR have the option of enabling access for all readers to their article via the Creative Commons Open Access (CC-BY). IR prices for open access are lower than those of most publishers (see IR Open Access Option). AB, ESR and AEI are now entirely author-paid CC-BY Open Access journals. ESEP and SEDAO are currently published with CC-BY Open Access at no cost to the authors.
- ESEP (Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics) Theme Sections: Global university rankings uncovered and The ethics of human impacts and the future of the earth's ecosystems were published in 2014. Upcoming Theme Sections include Academic freedom and tenure.
- No author fees for colour printing. No charge is made to authors for printing of colour figures, as long as the use of colour is appropriate.
- Theme Sections / Specials
Inter-Research (IR) welcomes Theme Sections (TSs) and Special Issues. Leading scientists interested in initiating and coordinating such a TS / Special for any IR journal are invited to submit proposals (address to the President of IR) with: (1) List of Guest Editors; (2) List of authors and topics; (3) Timeline (deadline for submission etc.). The mss must be subjected to the usual peer review (3 to 4 referees).
- EE Books made freely available for download:
Ecology - Potentials And Limitations by Tom Fenchel
Success And Dominance In Ecosystems: The Case Of The Social Insects by Edward O. Wilson
The Ecosystem Approach: Its Use And Abuse by Gene E. Likens
Marine Rocky Shores and Community Ecology: An Experimentalist´s Perspective by Robert T. Paine
Science and Limnology by the late Frank H. Rigler and Robert H. Peters
Towards A Science of Recruitment in Fish Populations by David H. Cushing
Scientific Research and Discovery: Process, Consequences and Practice, abridged by the author, Louis Legendre.
- Marine Ecology Book Series now available as pdf.
It is a great pleasure for Inter-Research to present the electronic versions of "Marine Ecology" in form of open access. It was organized and edited by Otto Kinne and printed by Wiley & Sons from 1970 to 1984.
- Archive available
All back-issues of Inter-Research Science Center journals are available in electronic form as searchable pdf files. We are pleased to make all articles published >5 years ago freely accessible to all users.